Monday, June 25, 2012

A Day in the Life


A Day in the Life of a Peace Corps Trainee

5:00am – Wake up.  The roosters have been crowing for at least 1 hour by now; unless it’s raining, then they are just starting to make noise.  These guys are loud though, and they call out to one another to mark their territory and their hens.  Just the other day while bathing, I saw 2 roosters fighting that resulted in a death.  One rooster got ahold of the other’s neck and managed to pin it against the ground.
I have to open up my mosquito net and walk over to find my shower slippers (flip flops) or my Chaco sandals, then I grab some T-roll (toilet paper) and get the toilet key.  We have a latrine comparable to an outhouse back in the states.  Is it luxurious? No, but it gets the job done.  You’re excused from greeting people when you have T-roll in hand, but I still say “Good morning.” and “How are you?” to anyone I see on my compound.
Next, I’ll work on some lesson plans or just hang out with my family until I’m served breakfast.  The host families are paid (pretty well for Ghanaian standards, I’m told) to host a trainee, so they are expected to provide meals for us.  I help in the cooking occasionally, but usually my mom is nearly done when I’m ready to start my day.­ I’ve also helped fetch water and done laundry during this time.
Breakfast has been an egg omelet sandwich or oatmeal.  The omelet has tomatoes, onions, green beans, and peppers in it, and the bread is sweet white bread that is made in small batch deliciousness. Very tasty!  The oatmeal is pretty basic, but Ghanaians like it like they like their tea, sweet and mixed with evaporated milk.
6:00am – I’m usually done with breakfast by now and ready to take a bucket bath.  I fill up my bucket with water from the barrel in my room, and then go into our shower stall.  Four walls each 4 feet high and a doorway make up the whole stall.  It has a cement and rock floor that is swept after each bath to keep the mold and slipperiness away.
6:30am – Time to leave for practicum.  Things start early here, and I need to get to school by 7:15.  It takes me about 15 minutes to walk to the taxi stand, and since I need to say good morning and ask everyone how they are doing whenever I see someone, it can take me up to 30 min to walk to the taxi station.
The taxis are pretty crappy around here, and they all have yellow license plates.  Usually they are pretty old cars, 10-25 years old, and are kept running by the loyal drivers who truly love them.  Only crucial repairs are done to the taxis, and it is common for the whole dashboard to be out of order.  I always hope the speedometer works in my taxis, but the drivers can’t go too fast because they need to swerve around the numerous potholes and pedestrians.
7:00am – We’re on the road now.  I head to Kukurantumi with Victoria Sicking (my teaching partner and wife when either of us get hassled about being married or harassed for being single), and we have to carpool with some other people to fill the car to 4 passengers.  Usually there are more Peace Corps teachers heading there, but sometimes we have to wait 30 minutes for two more Ghanaians to come along who are heading the same direction as us.
7:40am – Morning assembly at St. Paul’s Roman Catholic Junior High School.  This is the first place kids can be caned (beaten with a meter long stick about as think as a pinkie finger).  The other day the prefects and the late students were caned for not sweeping the classrooms fast enough.  The prefects really are the whipping boys/girls of the school.  When something isn’t done, and the whole class is to blame, the prefect will get whipped, and if it’s bad enough, every child will be whipped.  Our teacher explained that they need to be punished, or the children will not learn.  Caning is supposed to only happen to correct behavior, not out of anger, but that isn’t always the case.  As a Peace Corps teacher, I’m really not in a position to change the system, but I can make suggestions to my fellow teachers.  It’s pretty hard to watch a bunch of kids getting beaten, and I prefer to look away.  It bothers me, but I can’t really change anything.
I just teach one or two classes for practicum, but Peace Corps started us off fast.  I had one 15 minute peer teaching session, and then the next day I taught 2 classes.  I think everything is going well so far, but I’m teaching 6th and 7th graders, and mostly I just give them lectures.  It’s not very effective, but I’ve only been teaching for 1 week, and I don’t really have a rapport with these students.  I try to involve them by asking questions and getting them to participate.  I have a BA in Mathematics, but I don’t have any real classroom experience, and I only took a couple science classes in college.  But that hasn’t stopped Ghana from telling me that I can teach math and science in junior high schools.
Class time – My students are pretty good, and they still think it’s cool to have a guest teacher who’s white.  I’m constantly surprised by how little my students know.  I was trying to teach my 6th graders about percentages, but I was really struggling because they don’t remember how to multiply decimals and fractions.  Long division seemed like a brand new idea, but I was assured they learned it a couple months ago.
One day Victoria and I watched our collaborating teacher teach a math class the other day, and we were shocked.  He ran the class like a drill sergeant, and was just shouting things at the students.  They clearly weren’t learning anything, and he was just yelling at them.  No wonder our Peace Corps trainers have told us we will be the students’ favorite teachers.
12:30pm – I’m usually done teaching by now and ready to leave the school.  My mom packs me a lunch of ramen or a traditional Ghanaian food.  I’ll have a whole entry on food later.  JHS gets done at 2:00pm, but since we’re just doing practicum, we don’t have to stay the whole time.  Some days I go to an internet café or market in a bigger town, other days I go home, and some days we head to a spot (bar) to work on lesson planning.
I’ll have a whole entry about markets and navigating the streets in the near future.
Victoria and I have to catch a taxi back to Anyinasin, and that usually requires a taxi to New Tafo first.  Per person it costs 50 pesawas (cents) to ride between Kukurantumi and New Tafo, and 1.20 cedis ($1 = ₵1.70) to get between New Tafo and Anyinasin.  The taxi stand at New Tafo is pretty busy, and you can get taxis to any town within an hour’s drive; you just have to wait for the taxis to fill with 4 people.
5:30pm – Dinner is served.  My mom is a really good cook, and I’ll make a whole entry just about food later.  She tells me to “Eat all.” pretty much every meal, and sometimes I do.  When I don’t it’s usually just because she gives me too much, and not because the food doesn’t taste good.
For the rest of the night, I usually hang out with my family, head to a spot with some other volunteers, watch a movie by myself or with my family, or work on my lesson planning.  I’ve watched football, learned some more Twi, and just watched my family members do their thing during this time.  Days start and end early here, so not much happens after dinner.
9:00pm – Back to bed and it’s time for the mefloquine dreams.  They really haven’t been too crazy, but I do think I remember more dreams.  It might just be because I’m more conscious of them

1 comment:

  1. Pete, I already love your blog. You are quite brave!! Your mom is holding up well. Marty

    ReplyDelete