Friday, July 6, 2012

1 Down, 26 More To Go


So I've officially been in Ghana for one whole month, and it seems crazy.  I've already done so much! I've learned krakra Twi (small small Twi, which means a little), taught at a middle school in Africa for two weeks, and started learning Ewe.  I have a new family and over 50 new friends!  It seems so strange when I think about being at site away from all the other trainees.  We've become a pretty close group, and I feel like I know everyone well.  I'll definitely miss everyone when we split up.   I'm also somewhat used to not having running water.  A shower right now would be fantastic, but bucket bathing is actually quite refreshing.  It would probably be a lot less tolerable if I weren't right by the equator.
That being said, I definitely miss a lot of things about America.  Family, girlfriend, and other friends are at the top (that includes everyone at Magpie by the way), and American culture is right behind them.  It's just so different here than in America that I can't even really describe it in a blog.  Hopefully you can get a sense of all the differences by reading this because I really can't make a simple chart.
I really will write a food and drink blog soon.  For now all you need to know is that the only thing that is the same is that I sometimes have an egg omelet  sandwich for breakfast (not a typical Ghanaian breakfast, but my mom knows that I love it­).  Everything else is different.  They eat a lot of fish here, and the main carbohydrates are cassava, yam, plantain, and rice (which they think is an American food but I laugh because we think of it as an Asian food).
It's also pretty hot here, and since this is the rainy season it rains nearly every day.  I can't wear shorts here.  Occasionally I'll wear some khaki shorts, and I haven't gotten any comments about them.  But I've been told that only punks wear shorts (late teen/early twenty boys), so I mostly wear khaki pants since I'm a professional teacher.  It's really not a big deal unless it's really hot, and contrary to popular belief, I don't actually sweat that much.  Also, I was voted best dressed, so I must be doing something right.
I'm also happy to say that I'm having my first shirts made now.  I bought some fabric with Victoria a couple weeks ago after teaching, and when my mom saw it she brought out some more fabric she had purchased for me.  I'm getting a tunic made from the material I bought, and I'm getting a button-up shirt made from my mother's fabric.  Victoria and I ended up buying the same fabric that day because it's pretty awesome, and it will only be goofy that we have the same fabric for another 2 months.  People might think we're married though because married couples really do dress to match.  My mom and I will also have matching outfits!  We'll be looking very sharp when I swear in.  Pictures will definitely make Facebook and/or this blog once I get the finished product.  I'll also buy some more material that doesn't match anyone else soon.
That's about all that's new.  It's a little frustrating that I learned a bunch of Twi from my family, and now I have to forget it and learn Ewe.  But I'm really not even upset because knowing Twi greetings is very useful if you live in Ghana, regardless of where you live.
Up next: Food or Site Information!

No comments:

Post a Comment